Everyone is familiar with the flat roofs as they can be seen in every building but do a flat roof is the right choice? Flat roofs are totally different from the fancy house roof with a slope or curving designs. A flat roof has many advantages and can be the right choice for a building. Flat Roofing Birmingham can be a plus point if you don’t want to reinstall or repair your roof again and again.
Different types of malls, houses, apartments, and other facilities think of the flat roof as an advantage as they are more reliable and easier to install. It is the most common choice of most enterprises and commercial property owners. A building that has a regular activity on the top roof considers a flat roof as a big yes!. But the point to note here is that a flat roof is not exactly flat, it does have a slope for keeping the building from water drainage and other problems safe.
Types of Flat Roof Systems
The three main types of Flat Roof Systems are as follow
- Membrane or Single-ply
- Built-up roofing (BUR)
- Modified Bitumen(MBR)
Membrane or Single-ply Roofing
The membrane of flat roofs is formed by using several types of materials such as rubber and plastic but the most common material used for residential flat roofing is EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer). Membrane roofing contains several layers along with a sheet on the top to protect all the layers and base of the roof. The top shed is an EPDM sheet that can be loose but is fixed by using different methods such as can be placed be ballast (river rock or masonry paver). The gluing method is also used for fastening it with an insulation layer.
- It is cost-effective and cheap, repairing is simple. A homeowner can also repair it by himself.
- No reinforcement is required as EPDM roofing is lightweight.
- The chance of leakage is less, results in no damage to the surface.
- EPDM is the best option if you want to keep your house warm as it retains heat while others reflect heat and makes the house cooler.
- Roof penetrations can affect the cost and can become the source of damage if not flashed properly.
- Accidents like falling branches, foot traffic at the time of installation, and storm damages can puncture the membrane.
- Some common areas to leak are the seams between the membrane sheets.
Built-up Roofing (BUR)
Before the development of bitumen and membrane roofing Built-up roofing was the most common type of flat roof. This type of roofing consists of many different types of layers. First, there is a bottom layer then, there are two or more layers of tar and a top layer of gravel and the result is a very tough and damage-proof thick roof. It is not normal for houses and apartments. It is a very thick and heavy roof.
- These types of roofs provide excellent protection against water and UV rays.
- It is cost-effective and cost very little during maintenance for a lifetime.
- Removal of the layers is very easy at the time of repair.
- Foot traffic does not affect it more due to the filling of gravel.
- It takes a lot of labor-power to build this roof due to many different layers and is a slow process.
- Require a strong and deep focus due to the heavy and hard procedure
- Finding a source of the leakage is very difficult.
- They are not at all flexible and can cause damage in cold weather.
Modified Bitumen Roofing(MBR)
It is less messy than BUR and was made to replace it. This is flexible and protects the roof from damage in different types of climates and with mineral top coating. It generally comes in big rolls. A torch-down method is used for the installation of Modified bitumen roofing. Also available in self-adhesive versions.
- Installation is consistent because of factory-applied mineral surfacing.
- It is easier to install and helps in saving labor’s cost and installations error.
- These are flexible and offer elasticity at the time of low temperatures.
- A homeowner can install it by himself.
- It also needs less maintenance and is durable.
- Require more skill because of an open flame torch.
- Modification is less attractive and is difficult
Felt Roofers Birmingham also needs a yearly inspection for checking that everything is in the right place. It is a practical solution for every type of building especially, with large rooftops.